Monday, January 4, 2010

Using Chat Dialogue in Fiction

QUESTION: I need to include multiple lines of on-line chat dialogue in my story. My question is about rendering the punctuation of it.

For example, in a rapid fire online chat exchange with short snappy one word answers, in real life, the writers would be unlikely to use much punctuation including periods. Can I eliminate them in my rendition of it to the page?

ANSWER: As long as what you write is clear to the reader, I see no problem with doing the punctuation or lack of it as you wish. Just be consistent.

One thing to consider is who your reader is. If your book is aimed at younger readers, they will be much more comfortable with nonstandard punctuation than the older reader.

To differentiate the chat dialogue from the regular text, I suggest you narrow the margin on both sides of the page by another inch and use names in the same way as in movie and play scripts.


JANET: OMG OMG Dirk asked me to the prom.

MARY: WTF He asked me, too!


VOTE FOR ME! Remember this blog and its articles when you are nominating and voting for the best writer sites of the last year.

ASK ME QUESTIONS! Have a writing question? Write me via this blog or at marilynnbyerly at aol dot com.

No comments: